As a new parent there is something that you quickly become completely and utterly obsessed with. You cannot stopping thinking about it. You crave it. You monitor how much or how little of it you are getting. Of course… it’s the precious, sweet old friend you once knew so well, SLEEP!
You’ve waited 40 weeks (or more!) to meet the new love of your life, and here they are; tiny, perfect and the most beautiful thing you have ever laid eyes on. Babies quickly steal your heart, take your breath away, knock your socks off. Another thing they can run away with is sleep! In the joyful haze of parenthood, the sleepless nights can become really challenging, and luckily, there are some clever products on the market that can help solve some of these sleep problems. Bella Baby has made it their mission to become the sleep solution destination. With their team of sleeep-obsessed (and sleep deprived) Mums searching the globe to bring the best sleeping aid accessories in the business to Irish parents.
- The Cocoonababy Nest is an ergonomic sleep postioner suitable from birth to around 4 months, or when baby starts to move around independently. Designed by a French paediatric physiotherapist to alleviate colic and reflux symptoms, the Cocoonababy is a comforting, reassuring, womb-like space. The ergonomic cocoon helps a newborn baby make the transition to the outside world as smooth as possible. The semi-foetal, gently curved position reassures baby and encourages peaceful sleep for baby, and parents as a result! Improving the quality and length of sleep, as well as reducing the startle or Moro reflex, the Cocoonababy will limit reflux and colic issues and minimize the risk of flat head (plagiocephaly). Portable to move around the house from room to room or indeed to take away, baby will always have a familiar and comfortable place to sleep in the Cocoonababy.
- The Sleepyhead Pod, is similar in many ways to the Cocoonababy in that it offers the same cosy sensation of reinventing the womb. A safe, snug and soothing environment is what baby craves, and the Sleepyhead pod offers just that. Reducing the moro reflex, easing the risk of plagiocephaly, and providing portability. How it differs to the Cocoonababy is that it comes in two sizes; the deluxe plus is suitable from birth to approx 8 months, and the Grand size is suitable from approx 9 months to 36 months. The Sleepyhead is completely flat so will not ease the symptoms of colic or reflux when used on a flat surface. However, safely elevating the head of the cot or cotbed to a slight angle of approximately 30 degrees while using the Sleepyhead will have a soothing effect on little ones with reflux. It is a multifunctional product in that it is also a crib reducer, great for tummy time thanks to the rounded bumper, and moving on to the Grand size will help ease the crib to toddler bed transition. It creates the perfect microclimate for your baby, made from super safe materials, it is breathable, hygienic and non-toxic, with excellent air permeability.
- As your baby grew and developed in the womb, the sound of your heartbeat was their first and favourite lullaby. Recreating that sound outside the womb is a great way to settle baby into a restful sleep. White noise recreates that womb – like environment and a clever mum has brought these sounds together into a cute and clever product, Ewan the Dream Sheep. Ewan emits soothing sounds of the heartbeat, white noise, soft lullabies and other comforting sounds for baby along with a warm and soft pink glow. It is also really useful if you have a busy house or live in a built up area and is very handy to drown out other noises such as pets, older siblings, or street noises.
- Keeping the days bright and the nights dark is a great tip to regulate and balance babies sleep rhythm. By exposing them to natural light and fresh air during the day and keeping lights low and tranquil at bedtime, they soon identify a dark and cosy environment with sleep routine. A good black-out blind like the Gro Anywhere Blind will help, as it is lightweight and adjustable to any window shape thanks to its suction pads and Velcro panels. Ideal for travel, it is quick and simple to attach to any window and will rovide a great darkened environment for baby to drift off to sleep.
- Babies need to feel safe, secure and loved to settle into a good sleep routine, and a fully supportive method developed by sleep expert Lucy Wolfe encourages the “Stay and Support Method”. No intense periods of crying for baby or distress for Mum and Dad, Lucy’s Book The Baby Sleep Solution has simple and practical advice for parents to understand a gentle and emotionally considerate way to get baby to sleep without leaving them alone to cry, ensuring they feel loved, safe and secure at all times.
To see the full range of sleep solutions in Bella Baby online or visit us in Galway, Dundrum, Cork, Maynooth or Twickenham.
Aoife Carty is a Mother of 2 young children and a Nursery Industry Insider. As Buyer in Bella Baby, she previews and tests the finest nursery products from around the globe and hand picks only the best for Bella Baby stores nationwide.